What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that is downloaded to the user’s computer / phone / tablet when accessing a web page to store and retrieve information about the navigation that is carried out from said computer. This information helps us to improve the quality of our website and the user experience on it.
Typology, purpose and operation of cookies
Cookies, depending on their permanence, can be divided into session or permanent cookies:
- Session cookies: They are those that store data only while the user accesses the web and once abandoned, they do not remain on the user’s hard drive.
- Permanent cookies: They are those that store the data on the user’s hard drive so that they are accessed and used every time you visit our website.
Depending on the entity that manages them, we can distinguish between:
- Own cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies. (For example, Google Analytics). The third-party provider’s data protection statement is available at http://www.google.de/intl/en/policies/privacy.
Depending on the purpose, cookies can be classified as follows:
- Technical cookies: These are those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist in it, such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, access parts of restricted access, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the purchase process of an order, make the request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements during navigation, store content for dissemination of videos or sound or share content through social networks.
- Analysis cookies: They are those that allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyse the behaviour of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used in the measurement of the activity of the websites, application or platform and for the elaboration of navigation profiles of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in function of the analysis of the usage data made by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: They are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided based on criteria such as edited content or the frequency at which ads are displayed.
How to disable cookies in the main browsers
The user can allow, block or delete the cookies installed on his computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on his computer. Below we explain how to access the configuration menu of the most popular browsers. (Important: Deactivating some of the aforementioned cookies can make certain services or functionalities of the website not available).
- Firefox: Tools → Options → Privacy → History → Custom Configuration
- Chrome: Settings → Show advanced options → Privacy → Content settings
- Safari: Preferences → Security
- Opera: Options → Privacy
- Internet Explorer: Tools → Internet Options → Privacy → Configuration